Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 6 - Dehydration ?

So I decided to hit the road again today. I could have stayed for another day and made it home in 2 days, but I decided to take a different way home and make it a 3 day trip. I broke camp and packed the motorcycle and headed out at about 7 am.

It was a great morning, a bit chilly, but it felt great to be on the road just rolling through the hills. Nothing really jumped out at me from a picture perspective. Lots of great views, just nothing I thought would look great hanging on a wall in 16x20.

I missed a turn and ended up looking for a city that would not be coming where I was planning on getting gas. Not a big deal until you realize that with a less than 3 gallon tank, my motorcycle only has a best-case cruising limit of 140-150 miles. Looking for a town that didn't exist on the road I was on meant I didn't stop for gas when I should have and I ran out of gas in the middle of the Nevada desert right about high-noon.

Fortunately, I had renewed my AAA membership before starting this trip. Even better, I did have cell phone coverage in the particular middle-of-nowhere I found myself. The bad news is that it took over 2 hours for the gas delivery guy to get to me. In that time, a grand total of 2 people stopped to see if I needed anything. The first ones to stop didn't have any gas or water. The next one to stop gave me water and gatorade and then tossed me a towel to cover my head. I swear that dropped the temperature by 15-20 *F.

They AAA guy showed up and filled up my tank and even had more water for me. Soon enough, I was on the road again, a bit more tan, and maybe a few pounds leaner, but rolling again.

It was a bit warm the rest of the day, but I felt a ton better after jumping in the pool for a few laps and then taking a shower. A nice steak dinner with a few beers topped off the evening nicely. I am sure tomorrow will be better.

Sorry, no pictures today. If you really want to, you can check my FaceBook profile for a picture from my stranded location. Except for the 100+ *F temperature, it was very beautiful location.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is appreciated!