Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 2 - Theme song

Happy Fourth of July!!! I hope you enjoyed celebrating the many freedoms this great country provides us.

I realized that the song I mentioned yesterday was not the best song for the conditions. For me, Roll Me Away has a cold feeling to it. A better song for yesterday would be Rodney Atkins "If you're going through hell". It fits the weather better for sure. And it was good advice yesterday, since it was blistering hot and I just kept on going. I did stop a few times for water and pictures, but otherwise, I just kept going. I finally ended up in Pahrump Nevada for the night.

I vowed to get an early start the next morning since I would be going through parts of Death Valley. I did get going pretty early, but missed one turn leaving Pahrump and ended up taking a different route. I took a longer route to get back to the originally planned route. That added a few miles, but got me on the road I wanted to see.



One of the scenic detours I took was the road to Dante's View. The view from high above the floor of Death Valley was just incredible.



Even better (in my humble opinion) was the ride up there. Narrow roads, twisty and winding turns required 100% of my attention to keep from leaving the road. It seemed like I was leaning the bike hard one way and then immediately after that curve, throwing it hard the other way. I think I had to work harder on that 11 mile ride than I did in the next several hundred miles, but it was so much fun, it was worth it.

Made it to Bishop CA before I stopped for lunch. Found a hotel with a pool, picked up a pair of swim trunks and relaxed in the pool for a while. I am fighting a little bit of a headache. I think it is mostly a touch of dehydration and a good nights sleep and plenty of water will take care of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is appreciated!